5 Ways to Find a Career That’s Good for Your Mental Health

Protecting your mental health is important. Many people find that the workplace is one of the biggest strains on their mental health. Here are five tips for picking a career that will help protect your mental health and enjoy what you do.

1. Recognize Your State of Mental Health

The first step in finding a career that is going to be good for your mental health is to define your own state of mind. If you suffer from anxiety in large crowds, then working in an industry where you will have to work with large crowds is probably not the career move for you.

There are many people that are looking for work actively, but there are many people that more people unemployed that are not actively looking for work. Right now, according to USA Jobs, about 70% of the global workforce is considered “passive talent” because they are people that are not looking for a job. The other 30% of unemployed people are actively looking for a job. If you are in the first group of people, and you do not know where to start, starting by evaluating your own mental health needs is a great place to start.

2. Make Changes Before You Start Looking for a Career

Do things that will build your confidence. For example, if your overbite really bothers you and it makes you lack confidence, join the 4 million brace wearers in the U.S., according to the National Orthodontic Association, 25% of them are adults. In other words, do not base your career choices on things that you can change easily. If you picture yourself sitting at a reception desk in a corporate office but your smile is keeping you from applying for the job, you can have the career you want if you make some changes to boost your confidence.

3. Work-Life Balance

One of the big buzz words lately when it comes to career choices and where you work is “work-life” balance. Choosing a career that allows for ample time to spend with your family is very important. Some careers are far more demanding than others. If your mental health is reliant on having lots of downtime, then you need to look at careers where you can get your work done and go home. The stress, anxiety, and guilt of being away from your family can take a toll on your mental health.

4. Do What You Love

Teachers may not make more money than lawyers, but if you love teaching, you should go for it. It is important that you love what you do for a living. It helps to ease some of the stress of any job in any career if you feel rewarded in other ways. For some people, making a difference in the world is more important than any other benefit that a career has to offer. Follow your heart and do what you love to do.

5. Do What You Can

Some careers require a lot of physical endurance. Men’s testosterone peaks at 20 and it gradually declines with age, according to Medicine Net. Testosterone is largely responsible for muscle development and strength. Of course, this does not mean at 25 you will not have the physical strength to deal with a physically demanding job, but it may mean by the time you are 50 you won’t. Choosing a job that you are not physically suited for is setting yourself up for failure. It will affect your mental health in a negative way.

If you are good at something, you should pursue a career in that field. If you struggle with something, you should avoid career fields that require that type of skill set. It is good to challenge yourself, but it is not good to set yourself up for failure by choosing a career that makes it nearly impossible for you to succeed. There is a wide range of careers out there that can help protect your mental health. You just have to do a little research and get honest with yourself to find one.